lunes, 29 de julio de 2019

ERASMUS + IN POLAND


   
    Life is full of surprises. Sometimes we find difficulties in our way, but others life gives us opportunities we would have never imagined. This was what I felt when I was offered the job shadowing in Poland.

    A job shadowing is an Erasmus+ programme where a teacher has the chance to spend a week in an European high school, observing their daily work. Although I have to admit I had my doubts, I could not turn down this opportunity, so I went to Poland!    

      
    Some of the most relevant features of education in Poland is compulsory education till the age of 18. Also, the fact that students can choose between pre-university and vocational education when they are 15.

    I stayed in Zgierz, near Lodz (pronounced ‘Uch”), cities where we find the the origin of the textile industry in Poland. The high school I visited offers what we know as Bachillerato, FPB (Basic Professional Training) and Intermediate Professional Studies: cooking, hotel management, business, tourism, commerce and graphic design. I was surprised by the facilities, for instance, they were building a hotel room and a reception. They also have a bar, professional kitchens and restaurant, and a reprography room. 

  
    All classes are well equipped. For example, the History class counted on mannequins wearing folklore or military costumes, the Science class had a lab, etc. The building was quite old, but it has been under remodeling for its improvement.

   The school is also a boarding school, as there are students who live more than 2 hours away. Everybody participates in all activities. In the afternoon, they have English and German lessons, sports activities and even a choir.

   Regarding my experience, observing other professionals gave me the chance to improve as a teacher, learning new methodologies. However, the fact that I did not understand a word of the language in which they taught made it a bit difficult. That is why I had an English teacher (Kate) who was my shadow, explaining the most important things to me. Kate and the rest of teachers were fantastic hosts, inviting me to their classes and also helping me as tour guides, showing me the landmarks around in my free time.

  
   This Erasmus+ experience has been unforgettable. Not only has it helped me become a better teacher, but given me the opportunity to practice my English, meet great people and also, the culture of a country which, despite its hard past, radiates friendliness and hospitality towards visitors.

   I want to thank IES Navarro Santafe for giving me the opportunity to represent our school during this stay.

   Noelia Tomás García. Physics and Chemistry teacher

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario